Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Technology sautered to my nervous system

Had one of my rare insomniac periods last night, between 2 and 5 a.m., and used it to come to a fuller understanding of this business of me and technology. That, plus a breakfast conversation with my friend Azimat this morning gave me a “take” on just “why” I go ballistic over technological glitches. Here’s what I came up with.

I didn’t start writing until I was able to afford an electric typewriter, in 1970. So amazing! The keys could almost keep up with my thoughts which, because of my volatile, explosive, interruptive, mental nature (astrologically, that’s Mars opposite Uranus in Sagittarius/Gemini) flash through at warp speed.

Then, when I got my first Mac, in 1985, I could really take off! For the first time, no resistance between head and hand, no slow-down where I would forget what the rest of that particular sentence was supposed to have been.

Thus, I’ve been embedded perhaps more deeply than some with this electric/electronic evolutionary process that has sautered itself to my nervous system and enabled me to actually express what’s shooting through.

So, when something stops the process, ach, it feels so damned interruptive, as if I myself have been shut down, my existence on hold.

As I said in yesterday’s blog, I realize that this is exactly where I need to practice awareness, and today, I realize that I must begin by practicing awareness in the middle of when my interface with technology is humming along at warp speed. Because the synchronization of my fingers with the speed of the computer (I type at over 100 words per minute) is so extreme, it’s very easy for me to completely forget myself while utterly intoxicated by the joy of shooting mental/spiritual/linguistic rapids. If I can hold awareness during these good times, then most likely it won’t be so difficult to hold awareness during times when I get hung up on a large, impenetrable rock!

A big order. The kind of challenge that I can get my teeth in.

Tonight: book at “Spriit at Work Books and Beyond” in Boise.

No comments: